Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Thing #15

This exercise depressed me. I realize that libraries like everything else much change and evolve. I know that technology is also ever changing and improving. But it makes me sad to think that there may be fewer and fewer actual books out there. I don't spend hours on the computer. I don't like to read from the computer screen. I will often print things because it is easier for me to read. I want to smell the pages of the books. New books are fresh and inviting. Old books are musty and mysterious. And I'm not even a librarian. I'm just someone who loves to turn the pages of a good book. As I write this my unborn child is kicking me and I wonder will he or she want to read books? Certainly I will read books to my child, but when he gets older will there be books available or will they just be some silly collection that Mom has? I certainly hope not.

Yes, libraries do need to be a source of information. Yes, libraries do need to help people access that information. Yes, changing the model of service so that more people can access the library is a good thing. But please may we keep a few books for those of us who still like to turn the pages?

1 comment:

Barry said...

As long as there are people like you (and me) there will be books. As Libraries change, they are really adding resources that meet the needs of as many people as possible. Books meet the needs of many people. Your child will enjoy books. In other words, books will be around as long as they add value to our lives.