Thursday, July 31, 2008

Thing #22

Yes, I'm out of order! I decided to look at Nings first. I've used photostory and love it, but right now I can't think of anything to create a podcast on so I'm still thinking.

I like the idea of smaller social networks. I've never gotten into facebook or my space. My husband uses it to connect with his friends, but for whatever reason (perhaps I'm too old) I never got into it. Partly I think I didn't want to be connected to all those people. But creating a social network that's smaller sounds great. In my neighborhood we have a coffee group of women that meets once a month. Setting up a ning might be a great way to stay connected during the rest of the month. A few of the women have blogs so they could be there too.

In school we could have a class ning. I haven't decided if I want to do this or not. I'll be away on maternity leave for part of the year. Would this be a good way to stay connected or too much to leave someone else? I'm still pondering that. I also think that it might be useful for students to be able to connect with each other about homework and studying. Maybe even have book clubs this way. Endless possibilities.

I also subscribed to Teacher Lingo. I liked that it had blog offerings (and remember I don't read blogs) and lesson plans. This will be one more place to look for great ideas.

I've got to continue pondering the use of nings, but I will say I like the idea.

No comments: